Fortress - Kufstein
- © Kufsteinerland
Kufstein Fortress, slightly above the town, is the landmark of the community of 20,000 inhabitants on the green Inn River. Kufstein Fortress was first mentioned around 1205 AD, when it was owned by the bishops of Regensburg. Gradually, the fortress became a mighty insert and has been the property of the town of Kufstein since 1924. With a varied program for those interested in culture and history, Kufstein Fortress is one of the most popular destinations in the Alpine region. One of the attractions at the fortress is the Heldenorgel, which with its 4,307 pipes is the largest open-air organ in the world. The organ, which commemorates those who died in the two world wars, can be heard throughout the city at noon. Other highlights at the fortress include the local history museum, the former prison tower in the imperial tower, an underground rock passage, a herb garden, special exhibitions and much more.