Adventure path and mining museum Bad Häring
station 1: church square
We invite you to join us on a circuit tour along a trail that follows in the footsteps of miners, back into an era when Bad Häring’s mining industry enjoyed its heyday. The circuit tour starts in the village centre, from where you will embark on a trail that leads past the church towards the castle district and the local quarry.
station 2: Maximilian tunnel
The Maximilian tunnel was built in 1810, during the reign of the Bavarian king Maximilian to boost the development of the coal mining industry. The miners struck coal after advancing 322 m. After the coal mine had been abandoned, the Maximilian tunnel was re-opened in 1880 to produce marl for Perlmooser Zementwerke AG (PAG cement works).
station 3: Franziski tunnel
The Franziski tunnel (673 m above sea level) was built in 1784. The miners struck coal after advancing to 606 m. Franziski was closed after a devastating fire in 1836. Remarkably, it was not until World War II that work recommenced at the disused coal mine in the Franziski district, which at the time was flooded with groundwater.
station 4: lime stone quarry at the Pölven mountain
At the Pölven mountain, limestone is extracted for cement production using blasting techniques. The limestone is transported from the top of the "new quarry" via a 300 m long and 3 m wide shaft along a conveyor belt to the old quarry and then onto the crushing plant at clay stone mine.
station 5: concrete seals
The most devastating fire in the Franziski coal mining district broke out in 1836 and was still smouldering long after. Until recently, the area affected by fire was sealed off with concrete slabs. The region is believed to be the area where vegetables were grown for the royal household in Innsbruck in the 16th century. Here, the early melting of snow and the warm soil create a friendly, microclimate.
station 6: Gstettner bridge
In the Lengerergraben Valley, below the Gstettner bridge, the Kufstein industrialist Alois Kraft discovered marl required for the manufacture of Portland cement, which he burned in 3 kilns to produce clinker. Together with the Salzburg entrepreneur Angelo Saullich, he founded the “K.K. privileged first Austrian Portland cement factory". In 1872, Saullich founded the “Kink`sche“ cement factory in Kufstein and the Perlmooser Zementwerke AG (PAG cement works). The construction of a new furnace plant began in Kirchbichl / Bichlwang district in 1885, which became known as Saulichwerk.
station 7: Theresia tunnel
In 1766, Empress Maria Theresia commissioned the search for coal deposits. And within the same year, the miner Jakob Weindl reported a discovery in the Lengerergraben Valley. Coal strata were found between 760-870 m above sea level, leading to the first trial pit, which was carried out by a private union. In 1781, the mine was subsequently nationalised. Built in 1777, the Theresien tunnel (690 m above sea level) was the first tunnel to be created for the development of coal mining.
station 8: stratified series
The Pölven Mountain has three golden resources: coal, marl and oil shale.
Station 9: conveyor belt system
Limestone and marl were transported from the quarries at Pölven and Paisselberg via a 3.5 km long conveyor belt (mostly underground) to Kirchbichl, from where it was loaded onto cargo trains. Entire trains loaded with the raw material would then transport the cargo to Südbayerischer Portland- Zementwerk (Southern Bavarian Portland Cement Works) in Rohrdorf.
station 10: Egger-Lüthi tunnel
In 1882, Michel Egger and Joachim Lüthi founded a new cement factory. In order to obtain raw materials they acquired the Ag-Stollen tunnel, which until then served as a source for limestone extraction. The tunnel was advanced forward with continuous digging until marl for Portland cement was discovered. Narrow horse-ways with an 800 mm gauge rail track served to con